BSL - Find courses in your area

BSL in your area...

You can search for courses in your area on the Signature website using their ‘Find a centre’ search facility. Please click on the link below and enter your postcode to search for courses in your area:

www.cacdp.org.uk/.../centre_finder

Signature is the UK awarding body and registered charity, who aims to improve communication between deaf and hearing people. Courses leading to Signature qualifications are provided at over 850 colleges and other centres around the UK. For further information about Signature please use the contact details below:

Signature
Mersey House
Mandale Business Park
Belmont
Durham
DH1 1TH

Telephone: 0191 383 1155
Textphone: 0191 383 7915
Fax: 0191 383 7914
Email: durham@signature.org.uk

You may also be interested to receive a copy of our sign language pack that includes the following resources:

• Sign language leaflet (Sign Here)
• Communication tips (Miscommunication)
• Fingerspelling bookmark
• Fingerspelling card
• Fingerspelling poster

If you would like to receive a copy of the sign language pack please email - helpline@hearingloss.org.uk with your full name and address details and we will arrange for one to be sent out to you.

All the best from the helpline

•   *IMPORTANT NOTICE*  

Due to adverse weather conditions, the Derby BSL Practice Group will not be on this evening. We apologise for the late notice but the safety of our members is our priority. We will instead be meeting on Friday 9th March 2018 6.30pm-8.30pm at the Jonty Farmer pub on Kedleston Road.

The following practice groups will be running on

Friday 4th May

Friday 8th June

Friday 6th July

There will be no practice group running in April due to the Easter holidays.

• Sign language club set up in Slough

Deaf people, people with hearing loss or just those interested in picking up a new skill are invited to a new sign language club in Slough High Street.

Shazia Haniff first set up a British Sign Language club at Costa’s inside Debenhams in Slough High Street on Thursday, January 18.

Using a British Sign Language interpreter for communication, newcomers to the club are able to learn the lingo.

The group, named Sign Club, now plans to hold a session every month and possibly increase to two per month later this year.

Shazia said: “These sessions aim to help deaf, hard of hearing and older people losing their hearing to understand better when they communicate with people, because they need time to hear or understand. 

“Learning some of these tips and some sign language will make communication easier for all in the community.”

Sign Club will next be held at Starbucks in Slough High Street on Wednesday, March 14 from 10am to 12pm.

Email sloughsignbsl@gmail.com for details.

• Our company One to One Support Services will be running BSL Level 1 & 2 courses throughout September, get in touch to book your place

We will be running our highly successful BSL Training Courses both Level 1 and 2 starting this September. The courses are run during term times in the evenings.

Level 1 Units covered are as follows:
    BSL101 - Introduction to BSL
    BSL102 - Conversational BSL
    BSL103 - Using BSL in everyday life

Level 2 Units covered are as follows:
    BSL201 - BSL Receptive Skills
    BSL202 - BSL Productive Skills
    BSL303 - BSL Conversational Skills

For more information, or to book a place on the course, please call 01246 235 208 or email Training@OnetoOneSupportServices.co.uk. The courses will be held at our Training Academy in Chesterfield, with future courses being held in Sheffield
  • Dear all,

I’m a geography student from Durham University and I’m currently conducting research for my dissertation into how people with disabilities cope with living in urban spaces.

I was wondering whether you could share the link to my online anonymous questionnaire (on accessibility and public space in London):

goo.gl/.../i3czVz35icBWIU3h2

It would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Alexandra Bamford