Profound hearing loss and hearing aids

Hi - I've been to see an audiologist who has said I can have a hearing aid. (Left ear is damaged and the right one is normal) They have said that the benefits will be minimal seen as I have profound hearing loss. They said after I've tried this then perhaps I can move onto a cross hearing aid. (Not sure if that's the right name but its the one with the wire going to the good ear)
I'd like to know how others have got on and what difference it has made.
I suddenly lost my hearing this summer and I have no idea what to expect. I know it's not going to make a massive difference but all advice would be appreciated.
Has anyone just opted for lip reading instead of the aid?

Thanks
Claire
  • Anonymous said:

I have a profound loss.

My right is just in the profound range and I notice a huge different with a hearing aid.
    My left is very profound, not far off dead, I can't hear any speech but it gives me a sense of where things are coming from.

I think it depends on how profound and everyone hear differently.

If you can get a CROS system on the NHS, I would go for that as I've heard that people with a good ear and a ear in profound range hear not as well as the good ear picks up sound first and the the hearing aid side picks up sound, like you hear double.

If you can't get the CROS system on the NHS, I would try the one hearing aid first as it may work for you and then if not, go private for the CROS system.

For me (one ear 'alot' better than the other) I think its a case that my 'Good' ear dominates - and I tend to ignore my bad ear most of time.

I'm waiting for audiology appointment at moment - for retuning / CROS consideration.
  • I have a profound loss.

My right is just in the profound range and I notice a huge different with a hearing aid.
    My left is very profound, not far off dead, I can't hear any speech but it gives me a sense of where things are coming from.

I think it depends on how profound and everyone hear differently.

If you can get a CROS system on the NHS, I would go for that as I've heard that people with a good ear and a ear in profound range hear not as well as the good ear picks up sound first and the the hearing aid side picks up sound, like you hear double.

If you can't get the CROS system on the NHS, I would try the one hearing aid first as it may work for you and then if not, go private for the CROS system.
  • It depends what they mean by "minimal" benefits. No hearing aid can cure hearing but the right one can definitely be a big help. So even with minimal benefits it won't make things worse, a benefit is a positive thing.

The best judge of how much it benefits you, is you! My advice is always, try everything!