Lipreading Classes and Information

Where can I learn to lipread?

What is lipreading?

Lipreading is a vital communication skill if you are deaf or have hearing loss. It could help you avoid social isolation and live your life to the full. Most hearing loss experts recommend that people of all ages, with any degree of hearing loss, learn to lipread.

Although you cannot learn to lipread everything, classes will give you the tools and awareness to develop your skills. They will improve your confidence and are a great way to do something positive and practical about your hearing loss.

To find a local class, visit atlalipreading.org.uk/.../ or contact our helpline.

If there isn’t a class in your area, ask your local adult education centre or college to provide one. If there is enough demand they may consider it?

Please see our leaflet about learning to lipread- 'Learning to Lipread'

• Dear all,

I’m a geography student from Durham University and I’m currently conducting research for my dissertation into how people with disabilities cope with living in urban spaces.

I was wondering whether you could share the link to my online anonymous questionnaire (on accessibility and public space in London):

goo.gl/.../i3czVz35icBWIU3h2

It would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Alexandra Bamford
  • Looking for a one-to-one lipreading tutor in London[/size][size=7]

Hi
    I would like to learn to lipread as my hearing in my right ear is now at moderate loss and is likely to get worse. It is unknown what will happen in my left ear.

I want to try to prepare myself as best I can for the future. I have enquired via so regarding courses and unfortunately the best course (beginners taking place in the evening so I can fit it round my current job and meet others in a similar position to me) for me started 4 weeks ago and there are no spaces for me to join late. The next course is not until next September, I am reluctant to lose a years worth of learning time.

Can anyone recommend any one who would be willing to tutor on a one-to-one basis in London, or are there any good online courses? Or would anyone recommend any other providers other than CityLit. I see Richmond, Greenwich and Lewisham colleges run courses although some seem to only have mixed ability classes.

Any recommendations would be super helpful. Many thanks in advance.
  • Lipreading Classes

Come to a lipreading class and learn how to manage your hearing loss.

VENUE: North Common Village, Hall, Millers Drive, Bristol BS30 8YH
    WHEN: Monday 1.30 – 3.30pm ( term time only )
    FEE : £ 36 every 6 weeks

Other classes are available -
    for more details contact
    Tutor: Mary Hall
    Tel: 07790 283939
    Email: lipreadingmary@yahoo.com
  • Coping with your Deafness?

• Learn coping tactics for difficult listening situations

• Gain In Confidence

• Learn basic lip-reading skills

• Discover your NOT alone

• Find out about useful equipment, & other sources of help and information

Classes start on
    Friday 23 September
    Stafford College
    Earl Street
    ST16 2QR

Contact Ann or Jan for further information: 01785 275663
  • Lip reading classes - Paddock Wood Town Council

This is a weekly event. The next event is on Thursday 25 August 2016.
    Time: 13:30 to 15:00
    Venue: Day Centre - Paddock Wood

If you have a hearing loss, learning this fantastic new skill can make such a difference to your life, enabling you to take part in social situations once again and helping you rebuild the self-confidence that may have been lost with your hearing. Classes are taught by qualified tutors, most of whom have a hearing loss themselves, so really understand the challenges involved. Classes are fun and friendly and are taught in a supportive and stress free environment.

Why not give it a try? You have nothing to lose!

Contact Debra Jones at Hi Kent for further details. Tel: 01622 691151 or textphone 07795 951466, email d.jones@hikent.org.uk or call in to 18 Brewer Street, Maidstone.

http://www.hikent.org.uk