What could be the cause of a cookie bite loss?

I have had a cookie bite loss in both ears either since birth or since around 5 years old, i have audiograms dating back to nursery age, lucky for me the audiogram has stayed the same for the last 20 years or so.

There are no other members in my family with any hearing loss so surely this cannot be due to genetics?
One audiologist told me that it will be most likely due to complications at birth, so the hair cells in my ears got damaged at birth and then i ended up with this particular hearing loss.

Anyone else have a similar hearing loss and know how they got it?

• Hello,

I just came across your post and am curious if you ever got any answers? I know it’s been over five years since you’ve posted but I thought it was worth a shot.

I have recently discovered that I have a bilateral “cookie bite” hearing loss and like you, there’s no eveidence of a genetic basis. My only theory for the cause is a possible head injury I sustained as an infant (I fell down the stairs & was kicked in the head by a horse). I was never taken to the hospital or received any formal diagnosis but these are the only events that I can think of that may be contributing factors to my loss. 

I hope to hear back from you! If anyone else has a similar loss, I would also love to hear from you. I would really like to know what caused my hearing loss. Thank you!

• Hello,

I too have a cookie bite hearing loss, however mine is genetic. My mother and Grandmother both have/had the same type of hearing loss, so in our case it would appear to be hereditary.

My Grandmother was told her hearing loss was because she had a virus infection at the age of 20 and the hearing loss wouldn't be passed on to her children. She said she wouldn't have children if it was likely to be inherited.

Who knows what the cause of hearing loss is for you; it doesn't sound as if it is genetic. Please, please go ahead and have children if you can and want to. I am having a great life, even if I do wear hearing aids and technology has advanced so much since my Grandmother's day.
  • Hello

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.

It’s difficult to comment as to what may have caused your cookie bite hearing loss. This type of hearing loss is usually associated with genetics. Although there is no family history of deafness, it may be worth asking for genetic testing as it can skip generations. So far, around 80 genes have been discovered that are known to cause hearing loss. Sometimes a cause may not be found, but you may decide to get tested so that you are aware if there is any potential risk to future generations in your family. If you decide you would like to know if there is a genetic link, ask your audiologist to refer you onto see a Consultant Audio-vestibular physician for discussion and testing.

Kind regards
    Emma