Adult grommet problem

Hello everyone. I hope someone out there can help me with this problem. In September 2012, I got an itchy ear one day & scratched it. What a fool I was as, there was a loud pop in my ear, followed by an immense amount of pain & about one-third hearing loss. (Only just found out a couple of days ago that this was probably a perforated eardrum). I saw two ENT's, the first of which was less than useless, as he had never heard of my problem & said that my hearing test seemed fine. (I had heard less than half of the sounds in my right (damaged) ear, in the hearing test than I did in my left. I saw another ENT, who seemed more helpful. He never mentioned anything about a perforation, but when asked if it may be fluid behind my eardrum, he seemed unsure. (I had seen three doctors and two nurses previously & about half of them said there was definitely fluid there, with the other half saying there definitely wasn't)! I tried all the inhalation suggestions they made & tried three different antibiotics, all to no avail. The hearing came back a bit, but would come & go with one day my ear felt 'full' & on another it was mostly clear. The second ENT offered a grommet, but I said I would think about it & took a few months to decide whether to have it or not. Cutting a very long story short, including a return flight to Mallorca, where I thought it was about to 'blow out' thereby healing itself due to the high pressure (it didn't), I eventually went along with his offer & had a grommet fitted. The moment he put the anaesthetic paste in my ear, I suffered a sharp pain & a feeling of extreme cold from my ear all the way down the right side of my neck, which the ENT said none of this should happen. I went completely deaf in that ear, as I supposed I probably would having a lot of stuff put in there. I also noticed that my head began spinning like a top & for about ten minutes I completely lost my balance & was unable to walk, so remained on the couch. After a while, I got back to normal & he went ahead with the procedure. When he cut my eardrum, he noticed that there was no fluid behind it at all, yet continued to fit the grommet. I went home & waited for the anaesthetic to wear off & my hearing to return. It didn't. I noticed that from the moment he put the paste in my ear, I appear to have lost another third (or more) of my hearing. I also have the tinnitus I had in the middle of my head, playing loudly in my right ear only. I saw another ENT at my local hospital the next day, who said everything looked fine & to give it 6-8 weeks for my hearing to return. I suffered immense pressure in my whole head, as though it was inflating! This was almost unbearable & caused me to have severe panic attacks, which I haven't had in over 20 years. It is now two weeks since the grommet was fitted & apart from the pressure settling down quite a bit, (thank goodness)! There has been absolutely no improvement. I don't seem to be able to hear any 'outside' sounds in my right ear at all, all the sound I am getting appears to be coming in through my head as, putting my finger or an ear plug in my left ear, gives me the same hearing in both ears. It is a muffled & full feeling as though someone has put a finger all the way in my ear & won't take it out. All the forums I have read (apart from this one) are full of conflicting stories, where some people get immediate improvement, some say it settles in a couple of weeks, (where I now am with no improvement) & some who say it never improves, even when the grommet falls out in about nine months! I would love to know if anyone on here has any ideas or suggestions, for example should I have the grommet removed? As, having no fluid to drain, there seems to be no reason to have the thing & I read that if you have one in for too long, the hole never heals. I know that two weeks is nothing & that I should give it more time, but I am feeling really depressed & would have expected even the slightest improvement by now. I even wonder if the anaesthetic may have caused some damage as, at the bottom of my neck where the cold feeling reached, I now have a small lump about the size of two 50 pence pieces. (Which may have been there previously, I never noticed it before though). Sorry for the long story. I have also tried calling the Action on hearing loss helpline, but they had no ideas about what to do at all. Any suggestions will be very gratefully received, thank you.
No Data
  • Hi everyone! This is an old post but I'm having now a similar situation.

    Las Tuesday I got grommets placed in my left ear because I had liquids in my ears and had less hearing. The operation was with local anesthesia so I was able to hear all. Ik was quiet lot of noise .. Like a drill in my ear and a vacuum cleaner. So quiet horrible.

    After the operation was able to go home... I didn't hear at all but the dog said that once the effect of the anesthesia was gone it would be OK and within few days I was going to feel better. 

    Of course this didn't happend. Since Tuesday I have a horrible pippppppp in my ear... And im half deaf. The sound in my ear just it is getting me crazy. 

    In Friday went back to the ENT as I was getting crazy and he confirmed that I have a horrible ear infection and got some ears drops. 

    It is already Sunday and no improvement at all. The pieppp is getting me crazy and I have a feeling like my hears are full... Just can't clear them... 

    Now after reading all the stories and experiences in internet I'm freaking out that the pieppp is never going to leave and that I will be deaf. Not sure which would be worse.

    I had a depression last year and was getting better now... Few months that I was finally sleeping good and feeling more positive about life and now I get this... I'm getting panic attacks again... So so scare... 

    Does somebody has any idea if these are normal simpthoms af a grommet placing and if I would get better and pieppp would get less?

    Thank you in advance all of you for reading me...