Subtitles with Google Play Movies

Hi All,

I've been buying more of my films/TV series online. Netflix for example has good support of subtitles throughout it's content.

However I noticed google play movies doesn't. In fact the majority of popular releases don't seem to be subtitled (films like: cloudy with a chance of meatballs, Django unchained etc). I emailed them about it:

We are constantly doing our best to improve our services, in the case that we ever add subtitles to the movie you would have access to them.

I asked them for clarification on that, if they had an active ongoing project to add subtitles and got an email back saying the above is the correct answer for the query.

Any ideas on how to put more pressure on them to add subtitles?

Thanks in advance
  • Now a days almost every movie comes with subtitles like latest movie from Marvel venom, spiderman homecoming, infinity war all were subtitled.

• RobmUNKNOWN1 said:

How about a court case ?
    On the grounds of Reasonable adjustment - given that the adjustments are well known and possible.
    It also gives a kick up the *** to other 'providers' to toe the line.
    Otherwise people are going to be petitioning Comapny A , B , C , D and E forever and ever and ...

It is not the people who air the films you can sue, it is the film makers, as most are in the USA I suspect you will get nowhere pretty fast there. Many shops/supermarkets sell film DVD's too, most contain no subtitles at all, or, can you check unless you buy the video first. The wrapping contains no information regarding if they are titled. How about trying to go at e.g. sainsbury's/tesco's ? who sell DVD's with no titles on ? (Or even pound shop if you ever go in there !). Whilst we often see old videos titled on our TV sets, the actual videos ARE NOT, it is a BBC/ITV service provision that adds titles they aren't on the original videos. In that respect TV or netflix may not be refusing to include titles, they simply are not their to include. They also need PERMISSION to subtitle, and that requires a fee from the film makers, that would make film downloading unprofitable give the sheer amount of films available.
  • How about a court case ?
    On the grounds of Reasonable adjustment - given that the adjustments are well known and possible.
    It also gives a kick up the *** to other 'providers' to toe the line.
    Otherwise people are going to be petitioning Comapny A , B , C , D and E forever and ever and ...
  • Is it worth lots of different people sending emails to google play? Like a petition but pestering them

I've emailed a couple of tech websites and none are interested in publishing it as a story or anything.

• The 5 USA film issue posted wasn't a 'technical' issue.
    The 5 USA channel supports broadcast subtitles (I rechecked today).
    Adverts broadcast during the film had subtitles. There was no signal strength problem.
    The film (Bangkok Dangerous - filmed 2008) was broadcast without subs - when subs are available on the DVD version.

Broadcast 'excuse' for no subs are :-
    1) Cost of producing subtitles - this shouldn't be an issue when the original version had subtitles.
    2) The 'medium' doesn't support subs.

Neither excuse is valid for this 5 USA film.