Hearing loss...referral to ENT. What to expect?

Hi everyone, this is my first post and was after some advice.

I've been suffering with hearing loss for a couple of years now, mainly trying to follow conversations either in the office where I work, I've noticed my hearing is bad if I'm out with friends, even walking through the city centre, I can't hear them speak, or say if it's windy and I'm out of town, I'm still struggling.

I can't hear my phone ring if it's in my pocket, and I can't use my phone in crowded places.

It's really started to affect my confidence and it's more noticeable now I've gone back into working in an office.

I went and had a hearing test done privately and was told I had a blockage in my ear and conductive hearing loss and given a letter to go to ENT

The letter has someone's else's name on it and I was a bit dubious, so I went for another test elsewhere, and the audiologist confirmed that I had sensoneurial hearing loss and no blocked ears and gave me a letter for my GP as I'm only 40

I went to see my GP who confirmed again no blockages in my ears and I've finally got my appointment after a 3 month wait, which is on 20th Feb, just before my 41st birthday.

I'm just a bit confused with everything and wanted to know what I should expect. I've been referred to ENT specialist registrar, not sure what this means.

Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect, and do they just test my hearing, or do they do other tests to tell what type of hearing loss I've got

Thanks in advanxe

No Data
  • Hi Tynesidedave,

    Thank you for your post and welcome to the forum. My name is Vicky and I work for the Information Line here at Action on Hearing Loss..

    The range of tests carried out during a consultation can vary, but they must include an air conduction hearing test. In this test, you listen to tones through headphones and tell the audiologist when you can hear them. The tones are musical notes of low, middle and high frequency. The audiologist will gradually make them quieter and record the softest sound that you can hear at each frequency. This is known as the threshold of hearing.

    If this test shows that you have some hearing problems, the audiologist will carry out a bone conduction hearing test. In this test, you wear a special headband with a vibrating pad that conducts sound through the bones of your skull directly to the cochlea in your inner ear. Again, you have to press a button each time you hear a sound. If you can hear sounds in this test that you couldn’t hear in the headphone test, it suggests that your hearing loss is caused by problems in your outer or middle ear (and that your inner ear is working better than the outer and middle ear). This is known as conductive hearing loss. If your level of hearing loss is the same in both tests, it suggests that you have sensorineural hearing loss, which is caused by damage to the cochlea or hearing nerve.

    You may wish to read our leaflet How's Your Hearing? for more information.

    Kind regards


No Data