CAN MY HEARING LOSS IN DB BE MADE INTO PERCENTAGE?

I have 52db loss of hearing on my Left ear and 27db on my Right ear.So i have Bilateral Hearing Loss.I was told by my audiologist that as a Whole(Bilateral)my Hearing Loss is 25%.I have researched this Issue and i found out that it is NOT POSSIBLE to change Hearing Loss DB into PERCENTAGE.

I also have Severe Tinittus on my left ear.Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

• Hello UserLionofEngland,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forum. My name is Vicky and I work for the Information Line here at Action on Hearing Loss.

Our audiologist has advised that technically you cannot convert hearing loss into percentage as your hearing level is measured in decibels across a range of frequencies (pitches). It would be more accurate and simple to describe it as either a mild, moderate, severe, or profound hearing loss. You may also see the type of hearing loss described, such as sensorineural, conductive or mixed hearing loss along with the severity.

For some benefits such as Industrial Injuries Disablement benefit for exmaple, they work out a percentage of degree of disablement in order to work out the amount awarde, as shown below:

Kind regards

Vicky