Why am I struggling?

Hi, I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I can't see where else to turn. I'm not yet ready to speak to my family about my problems. I'm 31 and over the last few years I have really started to struggle with my hearing. My husband is constantly irritated by me saying pardon or I can't hear you. if he turns away from me I can't understand what he's saying at all. This is a nightmare in the supermarket when he wanders off whilst talking to me.

In busy situations I am embarrassed to say that I just smile and nod, I genuinely can't hear the conversation even as much as I try and lip read. If there's loud music I have absolutely no chance at all of hearing anything. I can hear the TV okay if its the news or a programme with no loud background noise, but if theres music I find I have to really concentrate. I don't want to put subtitles on because I don't want to look stupid.

I think the reason I haven't sorted it sooner is the fact I am only 31 and feel really embarrassed, I also got completely brushed off by a GP last year saying I was too young to be having problems and he prescribed some OTEX to help 'clear any wax'. Needless to say it didn't do anything. I think I'm ready to maybe approach Specsavers or Boots now for a private hearing test but I'm so scared there's something wrong, it sounds pathetic but apart from my hearing I am in perfect top notch health! 

Parents
No Data
  • Hi DaisyJ,

Thank you for your post.

We would encourage you to make an appointment with another GP  for a second opinion if you feel that your hearing is not right. They would need to refer you through to Ear, Nose and Throat for them to do further tests and then they will then refer you if necessary to Audiology. You are entitled to a second opinion, so please don't let this hold you back. You may wish to read our leaflet How's Your Hearing? which gives information on the process of getting your hearing checked and what happens after that. 

It is up to you if you wish to approach a private dispenser, however, if they do recommend hearing aids, then there is a charge for this. If you are eligible for NHS hearing aids then these are free.

It is natural to feel embarrassed but there are lots of people in the UK of all ages that have some form of hearing loss and many, if they need hearing aids, can find them to be life changing in a positive way.

Please feel free to keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on. If you require any further information/factsheets etc then please email us on information@hearingloss.org.uk

Kind regards

Vicky

Children
No Data