Loss in one ear and now the other

I have longstanding sensorineural loss in one ear. I've had a feeling things have not been quite right with my better ear for a while so, when I developped tinnitus, I saw my GP who referred me on. 

To cut a long story short, I now have mild hearing in my right ear (high tones, mainly) which seems to be age related even though I am only 47 - I guess I am just susceptible. The ENT said I probably wouldn't have noticed had my left ear been the same as my right. As it stands, I have severe loss in the mid tones of my left ear (so all speech) but only mild in v low and v high thresholds .

I'm due to see audiology again in September for a hearing aid assessment. They think they can correct my right ear but not my left as it's been too long. Confusingly, Boots seem to think they can correct both but I'm not sure if that's because they want to make money or because the NHS wants to save it.

Any shared experiences gratefully received 

Parents
No Data
  • Thanks for your reply. How do you get on with that level of hearing loss ? Are the hearing aids still useful for understanding speech? I am not sure if they're telling me I wouldn't benefit because there is such a difference between my right and left ear. As you know, once there is a certain level of loss ,there's a distortion there too, which is the case for me in my left ear but not my right yet.

I will look into Specsavers, though, as I'm not sure if I want some big and cumbersome thing and I did think I would need a behind the ear hearing aid so it's quite encouraging to hear that you are getting on with an in the ear one

Children
No Data