How To Detect Hearing Loss in Myself and If it Is Impacting My Learning?

Hi-

I want some guidance on how I would detect hearing loss in myself and know if it is affecting my learning?

I suspect that I may have hearing loss but am trying to decide if I want to spend the money to get tested (I live in the United States where it can be expensive).

What are some signs I should look for in myself to know if I should go through with testing? I just went back to school and I feel like I am struggling to understand the teacher-how do I know if hearing loss is impacting my ability to understand?

Also, if there some diagnostic protocol that the audiologist will use? What will the rehabilitation protocol be if I do have hearing loss?

Should I be examined for hearing loss first or learning problems? Does hearing loss impact learning? What is the theory?

Parents
  • Good Morning SuHyunJing,

Unfortunately all of our information is based on people living within the UK, however most of the information can still be useful to you in the US.

There are some basic signs you can look for if you think you may have a hearing loss. These include turning up the TV louder than your family wants it, struggling to hear on the phone, finding others mumble. You can find more in our leaflet How's your Hearing?. 

Alternatively you can take our hearing check online or over the phone. The Action on Hearing Loss Hearing Check isn't a full hearing test, but it will indicate whether your hearing is in the normal range or if you should have further tests.

Take our Hearing Check over the phone on 0844 800 3838 (local rate) or online at actiononhearingloss.org.uk/hearingcheck. This would then be followed by a hearing test normally done through you GP hear in the UK. I am unsure of the procedure you would need to follow being in the US.

If you are diagnosed with hearing loss, see it as the first step to getting the help you need to hear better. Your audiologist will explain the type of hearing loss that you have. It will either be sensorineural, conductive or mixed.

The audiologist will also tell you your level of hearing loss (mild, moderate, severe or profound). They’ll discuss whether hearing aids are likely to help you, or if you could have some other treatment.

I hope this is helpful, if you require any more information please don't hesitate to ask.

Ashleigh Information Line

Reply Children
No Data