High pitch Tinnitus is now low pitch vibration?

Morning all,

I am 22 years of age, due to me not wearing earplugs when I was 18/19 and going out a lot, I did (or still do) have a mild case of tinnitus, this is only when its really quiet while I'm in bed or after a night out (with ear plugs). It's not too loud and doesn't disturb my sleep at all really and I must of had it for a good 24 months. Ever since I noticed my tinnitus I've worn ear plugs without fail.

Last night I woke up to a buzzing sound, I thought it was my fridge so I checked it and other electronics etc... it was really starting to bug me, it was only then I realised that if I moved my head quickly or breathed loudly it would go so it seems to be something wrong with my left ear, the odd thing is that I haven't heard my tinnitus since I've had this and I'm wondering what or why it could be that made this happen? Hopefully it subsides but at the moment its quite loud. I'm sitting in my room next to a busy road and I can still hear it quite loudly. I can't think of anything that made this happen recently.

Parents
No Data
  • Hi georgepowerfinch,

Thank you for your post.

We would suggest making an appointment with your GP to get your ears checked. Sometimes you can experience tinnitus or an increase in your tinnitus as a result of excess wax or infection which a GP will be able to identify and help to clear the problem. If your GP cannot see a problem then you can ask to be referred to an Ear, Nose and Throat department at your local hospital for further checks. 

Not everyone can always identify a reason as to why they have experience an increase in their tinnitus but for some it can be down to wax or infection as mentioned, stress, medication, trauma to the head/neck/ears or noise exposure. 

You may wish to read our tinnitus publications for more information.

Please feel free to keep us updated and let us know how you are getting on.

Kind regards

Vicky

Children
No Data