Earwax on eardrum

I went for micro-suction because my left ear has been blocked and in pain. It's absolutely deaf too. She didn't do much, and said there's wax on the ear drum and told me to talk to a GP. I have been using OTEX ear drops for 4 days, which haven't done anything.

Does wax on eardrum go away by it self ?

If micro-suction didn't work then what will?

I'm a university student so I can't even hear the lectures or any videos and it's made my life literally living hell.

I can't strike a normal conversation without asking the person to repeat a thousand times

• My nurse said that it can take up to 6 weeks to remove earwax with drops in severe cases. I'd imagine they've left the wax that's in contact with the ear drum alone because of perforation risk. Does your uni have a department for students with disabilities? They may have equipment or software for loan that can help in the mean time

• Hi Adam

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forum. My name is Rachel  and I work on the Information Line here at Action on Hearing Loss.

Ear wax keeps our ears clean and healthy. It usually works its way out of the ears by itself, but sometimes too much wax can build up and block the ears.

If you’ve been using ear drops for 3–5 days, to loosen the wax and see if it gradually falls out of your ear by itself. If there’s no improvement, we would encourage you to go back to your GP, as you may need to have the wax removed- although you have already mentioned you’ve had micros suction with no joy. 

Action on Hearing Loss recommends ear syringing should be carried out with a pulsed water-jet system or micro suction. Therefore, you may wish to read our factsheet on Ear Wax for more information about ear wax and ear syringing via pulsed water-jet systemas an option.

Please keep us posted.

All the best

Rachel