WHERE IS THE CHEAPEST PLACE IN EUROPE TO BUY A HIGH QUALITY HEARING AID?

Hi all. I m currently trialing the Widex Beyond 440. It is better than my NHS hearing aids, no doubt about that. The difference is where my NHS aids are free the Widex ones cost a staggering £3400 for the pair. Are there other countries in Europe that do high quality private hearing aids for much less than that. I m hearing that Denmark is the place to go. Welcome your views. Much appreciated. Steve Fish

• Hi Steve, 

Denmark used to be cheaper, but I am not sure now with the weak pound. I went there many years ago and paid around £2500, so compared to £3400 it was cheaper,  but I am not sure if the cost savings are realised because you still have to pay for flights and follow up is a problem, although there is usually some London office.

I can recommend https://www.digitalhearingcare.org.uk/ within the UK.

But to be honest, in the UK, you won't come in cheaper than £3000 for most top of the line hearing aids. 

There is also a costco in Watford that sells hearing aids at £1800 a pair, with unlimited post fitting. These are a subset of the very top of the line hearing aids available usually from private audiologists, but you will get almost top of the line Phonaks (Brio) the top of the line Bernafon Zerena, Kirkland (Sivantos) and Resound aids.

In terms of comparison don't forget that the NHS aids are usually mid-range so should be compared to private mid range aids. Most mid-range aids cost betwen £1750 and £2250 - Phonak V50, Oticon Ria etc. You won't get the Widex Beyond 440 on the NHS!

Graham