Roger Pen and U-shaped meeting desk

Hi - where best could I position my Roger Pen in a meeting around a set of desks arranged in a u-shape?

I've considered:

1. Placing in middle of desks (marked X in the picture). Would the Roger Pen work well if on floor or should it be raised to desk level?
  2. On edge of my desk (marked ME in picture)
  3. Around my neck - if so what best mode? Conference?
  4. Ask meeting organiser to rearrange desks into rectangle - i.e. no gap in middle so I can place my Roger Pen in middle of meeting table.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Hi,

I'm an android developer and I recently published a new app for android useful for the deaf.

It's nane is 'Deaf Help', and you can download and install it here:

play.google.com/.../details

Deaf Help is divided into two parts:

- Listen (Speech to Text): help the deaf to listen, the app listens and writes in real time what is recorded by the microphone, with the possibility to copy the recognized text or to delete it.

- Speak (Text to Speech): the deaf here can write, using the keyboard, and pressing the 'SPEAK' button DeafHelp will speak for the deaf.

The app is very simple and designed to help the deaf in everyday life.
    It supports over 20 languages!

The app is under development, so it may have bugs.
    For questions and report write to: stefano.albano.sa

• Good morning Seasidebobby,

If the user places the Roger Pen flat on any surface, this will pick the voices from around the whole room. Ideally it should be central so an even pick up can be achieved. I also wouldn’t advise placing it on the floor, the nearer to the sound source the better, so on a desk is sufficient. If you placed it around your neck you would still need to set the Pen to Omni-directional which you would have to do manually, so it is better suited to be laid flat, which would also be closer to other peoples voices.

I hope this helps, if you need further assistance you can contact our technical services team who could advise further.

Email: technical.services@hearingloss.org.uk

Tel: 01733 363 922

Information Line

• Hi, for a meeting of that size and the distances involved I think you're asking a little too much of a Roger Pen. The Roger Pen works best in smaller groups and in noise (in pointing mode). Ideally you'd have the desks pushed together and the Pen flat in the middle in omni mode at roughly the same height, but a Roger Table Mic (or perhaps a pair of Roger Table Mics depending on how the tables were set up) would fulfil the need better. If the Pen was near to you on the desk (or on the lanyard on manual conference mode - you'd need to over ride the automatic mic mode to stop the Pen going super directional), you'd hear people close to you but not the people at the periphery. Regards, Paul