Finding a local Audiologist

I'm considering purchasing hearing aids privately.

What sort of things should I look out for when considering which local Audiologist to consult (belonging to a professional body, finding recommendations, reviews etc).

I'm based in East Kent.

Thanks.

• I've seen on Facebook that Regain hearing in Broadstairs are having an event at the Walpole Bay Hotel mid January, might be something worth dropping into to get a general idea or for somewhere to start. I'mconsidering going but not sure how productive a visit would be with my nearly 2 year old in tow! Then you've got Specsavers etc. As the previous poster said they will all carry different ranges and some hearing aids will have features that you won't want or need, may be worth having a google around so you have a rough idea of what you're looking for (or not looking for!) I don't have any personal experience with any local audiologists, I've only got as far as "you're hearing's not as good as it should be for your ageb ut not bad enough for aids" with the NHS a few years ago, my ears only need help with a couple of frequencies I doubt I'll tick the NHS boxes so also considering looking privately myself 

• Hi BitDBill 

Thank you for your post.

We unfortunately, can not recommend dispensers or hearing aids as we have not tried and tested the services ourselves, however i do hope some of this information below will be useful. 

Buying hearing aids privately can be quite over whelming. There are hundreds of different makes and models that can massively vary in price. Please also be aware that private dispensers can and will sell hearing aids that are available on the NHS for free so always worth checking what is also available through the NHS.

We encourage people to ‘shop around’. This is so people can compare a number of different factors such as the type of hearing aid they will say you are best suited for and the price but also things such as- do they offer a trial period so you are able to really test the hearing aids before you are 100% committed, do they offer an after care service to support you with the batteries and repairs etc. You want to feel confident with the staff and the service as a whole not just focus on the hearing aid.

It will be hard to compare like for like each hearing aid as you will find that the individual dispensers will probably sell a different manufacturer of hearing aids. Hearing aid prices can vary from approximately £300-£5000 each so you want to ensure that you know exactly what you are paying for and that you are 100% happy with your purchase before its too late.

You may want to have a few questions ready to question them about why they are recommending that particular hearing aid over an other- for example some hearing aids come with some amazing technology and features now such as direct Bluetooth capability so you can connect directly to you phone etc but this may not be something that is necessary or important to you in which case, do they have an alternative without those features that would fall into a different price bracket? 

Take your time when making a decision and don't feel pressured to buy anything from one particular dispenser- you hearing test is your prescription to take away with you which can then be used at other dispensers. 

Best wishes, 

Jess