Possible ETD - and then tinnitus!!!!

I had been having eustachian tube problems for a few months. It all started last winter when I suddenly noticed my hearing in my left ear becoming slightly diminished - nothing serious, but slightly deafer. This would then be followed by a bout of shrieking tinnitus at night and some degree of intolerance to shrill noises, but after a day or two, it would subside to nothing - I'd sleep with my head propped on a pillow and hear my ears go 'pop' suddenly in the night, and then suddenly all the sounds would ease in intensity and the hearing would return to normal, without a trace of tinnitus in my left ear. This happened a few times over the course of 2 months. I also had trouble equalising pressure in my ears, had to manually 'pop' them whenever I went into the Tube, or up/down a lift, or even driving down a hill when it would not have given me any problems in the past. I assumed this was all down to nasal congestion and thought it would gradually go away. I managed to manually pop my ears by tensing my jaw muscles - is it possible to damage one's ears at all in that way? Anyway most of the problems seemed to occur with my left ear - my right one occasionally felt a bit full or blocked, but I didn't worry about it much as my hearing was normal.

Anyway I have been having some nasal congestion problems at night. One morning I woke up and noticed a strange, fluctuating noise in my right ear. Sort of like an analogue modem blipping away. I could only hear it at night when all was quiet, or when I concentrated really hard in a very quiet room. I was slightly perturbed when it did not go away after a week and in fact, seemed to get worse, when the fluctuating noise would be accompanied by either a high pitched sound like water rushing through a pipe, or a steady lower-pitched droning noise. It felt almost pulsatile although it is not in time with my pulse. At times the sounds would all sound vague, like it was all underwater, or merely in my head - and I had several sleepless nights suffering from it. I went to my GP and they said my ears were OK and referred me to a private ENT so I could be seen more quickly. They gave me a steroid nasal spray (Nasonex) which I started using in both nostrils, although I had not noticed significant periods when both nostrils were all clear.

I waited another week before making the ENT appointment, and in this time, my left ear started up as well.... first with a constant high-pitched tone, which would sometimes change pitch... It was starting to drive me crazy. I thought all the time it was due to congestion in my eustachian tube, maybe a bit of ETD or whatever, as I often felt my ears popping and clicking for no good reason. I started having a phobia of using the Tube because of the pressures created.

Anyway, when I saw the ENT, he checked me out for the obvious things, said my audiogram revealed perfectly normal hearing, and there was nothing wrong with the tympanogram either, suggesting my eustachian tubes were fine. He shrugged when I mentioned the problems I'd been having with equalising pressure, and just suggested using a decongestant nasal spray. He just said that my tonal tinnitus must be caused by an inner ear problem, because "tones were mostly inner ear" - has this been your experience? He was MOST unhelpful and I was so distressed upon leaving his office that I nearly vomited on the pavement. I have felt like ending it all too, especially when the noises are particularly bad and keep me from sleeping. Sometimes though, the left ear quietens down completely -- and the right ear is quiet enough to allow me some rest and optimism, but I fear those days will become increasingly infrequent as time goes by. I don't understand how tinnitus can develop in one ear and then 'spread' to the other after a few weeks?? Since mine comprises several different tones, I don't know if masking will help? I can't fall asleep to the radio, and this is depressing me so much that I fear that I will do something stupid or rash if I don't find some relief soon. Please, someone, help me. I've been suffering this for nearly a month and it just feels like it is all getting worse. It is SO overwhelming.

I never go to any noisy clubs or attend gigs, I don't recall any event when I could have damaged my hearing, no knocks on the head or any injury. No medication either and I don't drink much tea or coffee. The only thing is that I have been experiencing high levels of stress in the past 6 months. Could stress just kick off tinnitus??? I thought it just worsened it, but could not actually cause it?

Please help... I am so desperate for answers.
  • Tuning into this thread 11 years late -- But I'm experiencing symptoms IDENTICAL to the ones mentioned by "Help me." any development / prognosis / solution? Any advice would be so greatly appreciated!

• Unfortunately, I don't have any answer. I am in the same boat when it comes to having ETD symptoms but the tubes are normal. Nasal sprays probably won't help, as the tubes are normal ????? It did nothing to me. The tiny muscles controlling the middle ear could have some sort of movements. I still think that my ears' problems have to do with some cervical and/or cranial nerves. I don't have a clue. But if you ever find out something that helps you, PLEASE let me know!!!!
    Good luck!!!
  • Tom, what is weird is that when my ETD started last year and was quite bad, I could feel my left ear blocking up and I was slightly deaf. Then a loud shrieking T would start, and everything would sound shrill for a day or two. Then lying in bed at night, with my head at a certain angle, I would then feel a certain pressure inside my head, and then hear popping noises in my ear. That's the best way I can explain it - and then almost immediately after, the T would ease to a loud buzzing and my deafness would ease. Then barely a day later, the ear would feel completely normal. It was also around this time that my ET weren't working and I had to manually open them to equalise the pressures. I would even go slightly deaf travelling on the Tube. Then all these problems started after the worst of the ETD symptoms eased - although they were still there. However the only difference is that I don't sense any hearing blockage or loss along with the T, and the T is mild in comparison with what I had last year. The only difference is that the T is now pretty much persistent. It really upsets me. The ENT said that my symptoms sounded like ETD but the tests showed that my tubes were now normal, and any residual discomfort should be sorted with nasal sprays. He insisted my T has nothing to do with this but it just seems like a coincidence???
  • Normally you get referred by your ENT to the audiologist at the hospital you go to. As far as I know all hospitals have at least one audiologist doing some tinnitus therapy. If you wonder how to get there try to contact PALS at your hospital. These people job is to listen to your queries/complaints and they will listen to your problem and try to help you. I've had to deal with them and they are good, as they have access to your files as well.
    When it comes to the ENT being unsympathetic, don't even get me started on that!!! You don't fit the criteria, so they want you out of their office ASAP.
    Regarding your symptoms I have the same ones. I don't think that the tubes have much to do with the problem, only if they don't open when they should but still open. It won't even appear on an X-ray. I have read somewhere that this feeling in your ears are a reaction to the tinnitus, that basically your ears' tiny muscles cramp around the eardrum because of the noise. Good luck all the same!
  • I have some weird symptoms of T. Not sure if other people have it too. I don't have any hearing loss and I don't exactly know why mine started, except that it happened after mild ETD and a period of severe stress. But my T is not persistent. It goes through a bad stage, then a stage when the sounds change and seem to get better/less intrusive, and then it even goes almost quiet for a day or so, before the cycle begins again. I also get strange 'wet' popping sensations inside my ear sometimes that sounds like the eustachian tube opening momentarily. That's when I know that things will get better. But it's this repetitive cycle that is driving me crazy. Sometimes when it starts off, the T is loud and well-defined, but after a while it takes on a resonant quality inside my head, so that it feels like it's "all inside my own head". It keeps me from falling asleep. Sometimes I feel like I am finally getting better and the noises are subsiding, then I hear it starting up again and I feel utterly despondent!

No, I haven't been referred anywhere for therapy... the ENT was utterly useless and in fact, so unsympathetic too! I've heard that the London TRT clinic has a really LONG waiting list though?