Bose QC 15 noise cancelling headphones

I have been given as a present Bose QC noise cancelling headphones as I do alot of plane travel it was thought they may help with noise reduction but as the tinnitus is 'internal noise' I just cant see how they can help.However I dont want to just dismiss that they could be of help so anyone any experience of using noise cancelling headphone?. Mr Nagler if you are reading this post I would welcome you thoughts as I value your comments. Thanks Happy new year tomorrow.
  • let me help you on this, i spent a good time finding my own bose wireless speakers, they are the best, you read these two guides about wireless portables speakers i hope these guides will help you.
    1. www.pollowers.com/.../
    2. www.digitaltrends.com/.../

please dont hesitate me to ask any question about them, i work in a media studio. thanks

• This was the second post I found on this, the first was www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk/.../tinnitus.aspx
    In this post the writer describes something I was thinking about today. Unfortunately he didn't get any responses.

What I am proposing are manually adjustable noise cancelling sound generators. Obviously since T. is in the mind and no actual sound wave exists, it cannot be automatic. So here comes the manual sound generator.

It provides a sound into your ear, which has manual adjustments for pitch, phase and amplitude. The theory goes that the brain hears T. as a phantom sound, in my case fixed frequency. So I put this device into my ear and adjust the sound manually to match the frequency. Note that the brain can hear this sound too, so it has two sounds to interpret. I then adjust the phase until the combined sound decreases to a minimum. Then I adjust the amplitude to bring the combined sound to zero.

Sounds simple to me. So please create such a device!
  • Hi, I came across this when researching hearing protection. I have had Tinnitus for about 10 years with an "increase in volume" since last year making it far less tolerable. I did wonder whether noise-cancelling headphones or earbuds might help but as the Tin. is in my head it seems unlikely. I'm with Musical Lottie on this one except to say that if you try them & it works for you then in my book that would be £300 well spent. Can you put a price on your eyes / ears / etc i.e. quality of life? It's less than my brother has to pay for his specs. (shocking eyesight).
    As the n.-c.'s generate (out of phase) sound it could be that they stimulate the T sufferer's "receptors" in a way that lessens or distracts the the brain from otherwise constant T effects.
    As for some people finding their T. increasing in certain environments, I have at times noticed this; mostly mine is a constant whine/whistle but some frequencies or combinations of, can really aggravate - temporarily. These would usually be fairly loud sounds - noisy cars / jet planes / screeching saws etc. So get away as much as possible from them, put fingers in ears or wear earplugs.
    Not all sounds are transmitted through your ear canals, a percentage is vibration through the jaw / skull. My understanding is that these are lower frequency sounds - the kind that earplugs don't really protect you from. Wind / air pressure on & around motorbike helmets is known to cause these low freq. vibrations & the faster you go the worse it gets.
    Anyway. I will try some of these n-c earbuds & report back.
  • Hi,

I came across this topic and I wanted to mention something that i thought you should be aware of when considered Bose Quiet comfort 15 noise cancelling headphones.

These are really fantastic headphones, i received a demo from the gentleman in the Bose store for about 30 minutes, the sales person was extremely helpful and gave me all the details about he headphones and i was able to try them out and they really do work very well.

However, what i didnt realise until my friend purchased a pair, was that these headphones have a battery in them and if this battery runs out the headphones stop working. I do not mean that they stop working permanently, you can of course simply replace the battery, but its definitely worth pointing out because if you are travelling with these and you dont have a spare battery you simply wont be able to use them. That could be very frustrating for people with hearing loss.

I have done a review of 3 pairs of Bose headphones at www.thelinenbin.com/.../ and hopefully readers here will find it interesting and useful.
  • I came across this site by pure accident, because a couple of hours ago I was in a shop browsing and they had a working pair of these in John Lewis. I'd never really given them much thought so had no pre conceived ideas about them. I gave them a go and listened to the demo and thought "these things are pretty good" and walked off. I was halfway out the door and thought "Hang on" and went back and put them on sure enough, I found that my tinnitus decreased significantly. I stood there like a moron putting them on and taking them off (without the sound playing) for about 5 minutes.

It was bliss, it's the nearest I've come to peace in a couple of decades.

I only googled it because I can't see any logical reason why they would work, the only explaination I have is that perhaps my tinnitus is a reaction to sounds or frequencies I'm hearing outside.

Either way, they were great - but at £300 for a pair, unfortunately I don't think I'll be buying a pair any time soon.