Bose QC 15 noise cancelling headphones

I have been given as a present Bose QC noise cancelling headphones as I do alot of plane travel it was thought they may help with noise reduction but as the tinnitus is 'internal noise' I just cant see how they can help.However I dont want to just dismiss that they could be of help so anyone any experience of using noise cancelling headphone?. Mr Nagler if you are reading this post I would welcome you thoughts as I value your comments. Thanks Happy new year tomorrow.
  • What an interesting thread. My first thoughts were that noise cancellation could not possibly, logically, help tinnitus* whatsoever. However, after reading PeterJohnson and haegum's posts, it reminded me of my own experience of the phenomenon they describe. I occasionally find my tinnitus increases with the increase of external sound** - no idea why - but if some people experience that more often and more intensely than I do, I suppose noise-cancelling headphones could affect one's perception of tinnitus. However, I would certainly not advise anyone to spend money searching for relief, when without doubt the best relief is still that which comes from learning to live with, and largely ignore, the noise.

*In the interests of accuracy I am referring to helping reduce the perception of tinnitus in whatever fashion, be it physical or purely mentally / through perception of sound / whatever.
    **This is not something that bothers me; I don't look out for it, and I certainly don't go into any situation thinking about whether it will affect my tinnitus or not (unless it's for a specific, experimental purpose - which is rarely). When my tinnitus changes, I vaguely notice it, mentally file it away under 'mildly interesting: tinnitus', and then get on with whatever it is I'm doing.

So I'm with Grey in that there is no physical reason for n/c headphones to help, and also I understand how powerful the placebo effect can be. However, I can believe that some people may have found n/c headphones to affect their perception of tinnitus, for which there must be a reason we just don't (yet) understand. But I'd still be wary of buying a pair purely with the hope of them reducing the perception of tinnitus.
  • Hello,

I have what is best described as intermittent Tinnitus. Like many I probably have it all the time to varying degrees, so I have the luxury of not being bothered by it on a daily basis. It is also in one ear, or at least certainly much worse in one. I could not sleep one recent night, so the idea of trying the Bose QC-15's seemed worth a try. Like a few others here, I was pleasantly surprised at the reduction in pitch I experienced when turning them on. So much so I thought I might have discovered the Holy Grail of T suffers. I of course then did a google search and came upon this thread to see that others have also discovered the benefits as well.

While I understand how counterintuitive the concept might be that a device designed to create a noise canceling effect could help with T suffers, I can attest to the fact it does help in my case. So while I will not become someone who will walk around with the Bose attached to my noggin on a regular basis, I can certainly envision wearing them at night to sleep on bad T nights.

I will bookmark this forum and check back in to update you all, but at this point I think the Bose will certainly be a part of my arsenal to combat that madding problem.
  • This is a very simple thing for me to explain. My tinnitus seems to get louder as outside noise gets louder. Driving in a car on the freeway makes my tinnitus scream, that is unless I'm in a quiet car. I really don't like listening to the TV if it's up to high. This is the reason masking has never worked for me. If I'm a passenger in a car, I can put on the headphones and listen to a ball game very comfortably. The noise cancelation for me just makes the headphones more efficient at removing the backgrounds noise and that lowers my ringing. In other words if the headphones had better passive sound suppression, it would work as well as noise cancelation for my piticular case. I have a kind of reactive tinnitus. As outside noise goes up so does my tinnitus. So, in some conditions, the Bose work for me.
  • On the matter of sound therapy read this article.....it may be of interest.

www.nhs.uk/.../cbt-sound-therapy-tinnitus-treatment.aspx
  • OK This is addressed to Pete.

There seems to be some confusion about who agrees with whom so lets state our opinions absolutely clearly.

I say there is no way that any noise cancelling can have an effect on T for the simple fact that the Tinnitus sound is not a physical sound wave and as a consequence there is no way on earth that the headphones can "pick up" the sound and create an equal and opposite wave the net result of which would cancel the sound out.

No way on this earth.

If by some chance the use of headphones to play any or specific sounds can have an effect is open for debate, as you yourself know Pete the hearing aids (which are not sound cancelling) do have a definite effect simply by virtue of amplifying white noise and other sounds that give the brain something else to listen to and dampen the effect of the internal tinnitus noise.

So when I say you agree with me I was saying that it appear that you a agree with me that "noise cancelling" cannot and does not as a result of the noise cancelling effect, help T.

And I quote from you previous post..................

They never touched my T

Which to me seems you are agreeing with me.

............................................................................

Now a general comment regarding this matter....

For those new sufferers struggling with T.

Please do not for a second pin your hopes on rushing out and buying a set of noise cancelling headphones and expecting them to solve the tinnitus problem. There is no evidence in the scientific fraternity that this is an avenue that is even being looked into.

Be aware and take note of the significant difference here, "noise cancelling" is one thing. Sound therapy is another.
    Sound therapy thorough noise cancelling or other conventional headphones is another entirely different kettle of fish. Sound therapy may or may not help. You can see from the post here that my friend Pete is trying very hard to use sound therapy to solve his T problem, sadly so far without much success.