My Grommets and Me

This new post is (like my last, and I guess, like many on the forum) to help me. Airing how we are feeling helps.....and those who have experienced the same may have tips which aid coping.

So essentially my story....for those who I haven't bored (or cried to!) before. Developed mild bilateral tinnitus after trivial cold. Tinnitus worsened ,plus pressure feelings, pain and squeaks, crackles etc occasionally from Eustachian tubes, plus resistant sinusitis. Tinnitus worsened, post-nasal drip, developing ear pressure and popping. Referred to NHS ENT.....'tinnitus related to mild age-related hearing loss, Eustachian tube function normal'.....in spite of better than average audiogram for age (61)....and a tympanogram that the technician could get no trace form the right ear. "You will wakeup one morning and think....'This isn't so bad, and you'll learn to ignore it.....here's a few leaflets on tinnitus...have a good life'.....sorry if this sounds bitter...but I am.Then panic attacks ,depression, frankly suicidal, weight loss, constipation,piles, urine retention etc. in addition to massive ear pressure and tinnitus.

Elected to see a consultant privately and urgently......he treated my resistant sinusitis...listened and gave me his mobile number to contact him if matters didn't improve. They worsened. I e-mailed his secretary a week ago today...he saw me that morning (NHS)....he repeated all tests....."severe Eustachian tube dysfunction...right worse than left....urgent grommets under general anaesthesia as ?anterior wall very prominent' So he found the nearest slot available on a list of one of his colleagues...that was yesterday.

In the meantime I develop two septic toes.....but I said nothing.....

Yesterday, after the usual panic that no bed would be available due to winter pressures, the call came to go.Lovely admission nurse, lovely surgical team....all came and introduced themselves, discussed all benefits and risks and 3:00 p.m to theatre. Woke up with a 'major hangover' , ear pain and massive tinnitus in my left ear (my 'best ear'), plus my ears/head feeling huge. Still able to eat ( referred to dietician as dramatic weight loss and BMI putting me in the 'alert section'), drink and pee.so allowed home.

In the meantime,toes looking/feeling very angry and lines coming up foot. Intense heat and pain......found some old antibiotics and started them.

After a poor night's sleep (with 'whooshing' in my left ear in time with my heartbeat in addition to tinnitus) I am up and about. Tinnitus pretty deafening,rather deaf both ears, left ear feeling pretty pressurised....but not of the usual type...I think. BUT...less than 24 hours ...and my foot is improving. I am hoping that a lot of my symptoms are swelling-related and my ears getting used to their 'plugs'

Forgot to add my throat is now sore due to intubation and I have bitten my tongue (prior to the op) badly.....must have mistaken it for food!

I'm not sure if this post is going to help or hinder anyone who is on a similar path to me....I hope it's not the latter. At the moment I am marking time and will tell it how it is (for me at least). If nothing else....if you are unhappy with what you have been told, then to get a second opinion is the right thing to do.

Sandi
Parents
No Data
  • Hi everyone! This is an old post but I'm having now a similar situation.

Las Tuesday I got grommets placed in my left ear because I had liquids in my ears and had less hearing. The operation was with local anesthesia so I was able to hear all. Ik was quiet lot of noise .. Like a drill in my ear and a vacuum cleaner. So quiet horrible.

After the operation was able to go home... I didn't hear at all but the dog said that once the effect of the anesthesia was gone it would be OK and within few days I was going to feel better. 

Of course this didn't happend. Since Tuesday I have a horrible pippppppp in my ear... And im half deaf. The sound in my ear just it is getting me crazy. 

In Friday went back to the ENT as I was getting crazy and he confirmed that I have a horrible ear infection and got some ears drops. 

It is already Sunday and no improvement at all. The pieppp is getting me crazy and I have a feeling like my hears are full... Just can't clear them... 

Now after reading all the stories and experiences in internet I'm freaking out that the pieppp is never going to leave and that I will be deaf. Not sure which would be worse.

I had a depression last year and was getting better now... Few months that I was finally sleeping good and feeling more positive about life and now I get this... I'm getting panic attacks again... So so scare... 

Does somebody has any idea if these are normal simpthoms af a grommet placing and if I would get better and pieppp would get less?

Thank you in advance all of you for reading me... 

Children
No Data