Struggling to cope

Hi all.

I'm new to the forum but looking for help.

I have had tinnitus all my life, well as long as I can remember. I am now 29 and really struggling to cope.

I feel myself become agitated when sitting in a 'quiet' room. Or when my partner says "did you not hear me" or "did you hear that?"

How can I reduce the sounds I constantly hear?
When will it ever begin to get a little better or quieter.

Lizzie
  • Hi Lizzie
    Would you be interested in taking part in my research project about the lived experiences of individuals with tinnitus.
    If you would be willing please email me on l1493082@live.tees.ac.uk and I will email you the materials.
    Regards Angela
  • Hi LizzieFitch1,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the forum. I work for the Information Line here at Action on Hearing Loss and my name is Vicky. You have come to a safe place for guidance and for support and I am sure other users will be along shortly to share with you their own experiences of tinnitus.

Have you been to visit your GP at all since you started to struggle more? If not, then we would encourage you to do so, so that they can check your ears for any underlying problems that may be causing the change such as excess wax or infection. If they cannot find a reason then they should refer you on to Ear, Nose and Throat for further tests and you can ask to be referred for support management with a hearing therapist.

Although there is not a cure for tinnitus just yet, there is a lot of research taking place. There are lots of different therapies and products that can help people to manage their tinnitus in order to get to place where it is no longer bothersome for them. You may wish to read our factsheet Tinnitus – Causes and Therapies for more information on what is available to help you.

Stress can be known to aggravate peoples Tinnitus and so, although it may sound difficult, it is important to try to remain calm and do things that you enjoy in order to relax. We have a factsheet which you may also like to read called Stress and Tinnitus which gives some good advice on things you can do to keep calm.

We also have a factsheet which you partner may wish to ready called How to help friend and family with tinnitus so they know how they can help to support you.

Kind regards

Vicky
  • Vicky Information Officer

Hi LizzieFitch1,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the forum. I work for the Information Line here at Action on Hearing Loss and my name is Vicky. You have come to a safe place for guidance and for support and I am sure other users will be along shortly to share with you their own experiences of tinnitus.

Have you been to visit your GP at all since you started to struggle more? If not, then we would encourage you to do so, so that they can check your ears for any underlying problems that may be causing the change such as excess wax or infection. If they cannot find a reason then they should refer you on to Ear, Nose and Throat for further tests and you can ask to be referred for support management with a hearing therapist.

Although there is not a cure for tinnitus just yet, there is a lot of research taking place. There are lots of different therapies and products that can help people to manage their tinnitus in order to get to place where it is no longer bothersome for them. You may wish to read our factsheet Tinnitus – Causes and Therapies for more information on what is available to help you.

Stress can be known to aggravate peoples Tinnitus and so, although it may sound difficult, it is important to try to remain calm and do things that you enjoy in order to relax. We have a factsheet which you may also like to read called Stress and Tinnitus which gives some good advice on things you can do to keep calm.

We also have a factsheet which you partner may wish to ready called How to help friend and family with tinnitus so they know how they can help to support you.

Kind regards

Vicky

Thanks for sharing a valuable advice on Tinnitus which a common problem nowadays and indication of an underlying condition, such as age-linked hearing loss, ear injury or a blood system disorder. It will help my students who are learning in medical field and nursing course to do their study better.
  • Informative post! Through this deal, I grab bulk of information to increase the possibilities of learning. The Rocketeer Jacket
  • Dear all,

I’m a geography student from Durham University and I’m currently conducting research for my dissertation into how people with disabilities cope with living in urban spaces.

I was wondering whether you could share the link to my online anonymous questionnaire (on accessibility and public space in London):

goo.gl/.../i3czVz35icBWIU3h2

It would be greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks, 

Alexandra Bamford