n desperate need of help!

Hi all I am new to the forum and am experiencing severe Tinnitus which is actually starting to ruin my life.   I wake most nights from sleep (Why I don’t know;is the Tinnitus waking me up?) and am unable to get back to sleep due to the constant ringing in my ears.  I am constantly exhausted which is having a huge impact on my work, my relationship, moreover my moods are now effecting my children.  Some mornings (often around 3am) I am sat down stairs crying as I’m so exhausted as I’m unable to get back to sleep.  Even as I sit here in my quiet living room, the ringing is breaking through even over the sound of my phone bleeping as i write.

I have seen a ENT and they said I have noise reduced hearing loss and Tinnitus. They have sent a referral back to my doctor asking to send me for Tinnitus councilling.  I have been looking on the internet and  seen therapies offered by the Tinnitus clinic but there is no way I would be able to afford the thousands of pounds they are asking. I have tried playing music to fall a sleep to but the music prevents me from sleeping. I fall asleep in front of the tv but often wake in the middle of the night. 

I spend most night in tears as it’s ruining my life. I am not coping at all and would appreciate help and advice. 

Elaine 

• Hi, Elaine40

Thank you for posting and welcome to the forum. I work for the Information Line here at Action on Hearing Loss and my name is Ashleigh. You have come to a safe place for guidance and for support and for others to share with you their own experiences of tinnitus.

There are many different things which you can do to assist with tinnitus. In most cases, tinnitus improves slowly over time by a process known as ‘habituation’. This is where you reach a state of mind where you no longer find your tinnitus bothersome and are no longer overly aware of it. Habituation is the main aim of tinnitus therapies. 

There are different therapies available to help manage tinnitus and reduce the impact that it has on your life. With the right guidance, individuals should be able to find a therapy, or combination of therapies, that works for you. You can read through our Information here.

Stress can be known to aggravate peoples Tinnitus and so, although it may sound difficult, it is important to try to remain calm and do things that you enjoy in order to relax. We have a factsheet which you may also like to read called Stress and Tinnitus which gives some good advice on things you can do to keep calm.

Kind regards

Ashleigh