Help with hearing aid and work

Hi everyone, I have tinnitus and high frequency hearing loss in my left ear (sudden onset, had an mri which came back clear and the only diagnosis the consultant gave me was he thinks it was an infection and this caused the hearing issues) I am a chef and not being able to hear properly led to me leaving my job in a hotel and working by myself in a pub kitchen. I was given a hearing aid to wear but it made all sounds distorted, gave me a lot of pain in my ear and along my cheekbone and made me dizzy so I stopped wearing it (I was working alone so I felt I didn't need it) I've recently (today) started in a new hotel because I want to get back to being able to cook and work like I did before this happened but as soon as I put the aid in the problems started again, I couldn't understand what was being said to me and felt like an idiot, it's really getting to me not being able to hear or understand what I'm being told, is my career over or is there anything I can do? 

• Hello,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forum, my name is Amy and I work on the Information Line here at Action on Hearing Loss.

I am sorry to read of your recent experiences and hope that the information below may help.

If you are wearing your hearing aids intermittently, your ears and brain will not have had time to adjust to them. Many people find adjusting to their hearing aids difficult because of the sound quality. In some cases it can even take months to get used to the new sound. After years of hearing loss, you become accustomed to not hearing. The sound enabled by hearing aids can seem artificial and unnatural at first, but please persevere.

Have you had a work based assessment? If not we would encourage you have an assessment, this can be done through the Action on Hearing Loss work based assessment team or the Government funded Access to work Scheme.

Assessments are normally carried out in the employee’s main place of work and usually last between one to two hours. Ideally the assessment should take place away from the employee’s work area, in a quiet area. Once our access consultant has gathered all the information needed it may be necessary to discreetly look around the work area.

After the visit, the assessor will research the most appropriate and cost effective equipment compatible with people who are deaf or have a hearing loss, hearing aids and the organisation’s internal systems. These recommendations are then highlighted in a detailed report – which will often include some very simple, low cost adjustments. Your employer would be responsible for paying for this.

If you would like to book a work based assessment then please contact the team on telephone 0333 240 5658 or email access.solutions@hearingloss.org.uk

There is also a government run scheme called Access to Work which helps people with disabilities have equal access to workplaces. They may be able to provide you with some funding.

Please do keep us up to date with your progress.

Best wishes,
    Amy