Tinnitus and something else...

Hello everyone! This is my first yimeposting in this forum, and might I add a lot more supportive than the actual tinnitus support group I'm apart of. Lol. So imI26 and I've had tinnitus all my life, well as long as I can remember. It doesn't bother me THAT much because I don't remember what silence sounds like. It doesn't quite sound like ringing (although my ears do make a hissing/ringing) it sounds more like white noise or TV static. And there's a great pressure in my ear that I can really only feel when it's quiet, when I hear the tinnitus. And it's gotten a little bit worse in the last month or two since I had a head cold. My ears also pop. All the time. When I swallow or chew or yawn or just randomly. It's really odd. My mom tells me I used to get really bad ear infections when I was young, so bad that they would bleed. The doctors wanted to tube my ears but I guess they never did. I'm honestly just worried that it'll get worse and it will make me lose my happiness and it will get to me so badly I'll commit suicide. That's my greatest fear. 

Parents
No Data
  • Hi TEmbury

Welcome to the forum and thank you for posting. My name is Jess and I work on the Tinnitus helpline for Action on Hearing Loss I'm sure our other forum members will be able to offer other advice and share experiences for you soon.

We aren’t sure what is causing your ears to pop, but it would be worth asking your GP to refer to you see an ear nose and throat doctor. The popping may or may not be related to the infections that you had as a child- ENT will assess your hearing and look at what may be causing it. You may also want to look into the therapies a Hearing Therapist can offer to help with your tinnitus such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Tinnitus Retraining Therapy. You will need a referral from your GP but please be aware that this service is not available in every hospital so you may need referring to your next closest one that can offer this. CBT can be very helpful, it can teach you coping techniques to deal with negative feelings and distress, so your thoughts and feelings can become more positive and by changing how you think about tinnitus and what you do about it, your distress is reduced – you start to tolerate the noises and they eventually become less noticeable. TRT combines medical counselling and low-level sound therapy. It doesn’t work directly on your tinnitus, but on your awareness and understanding of it. In time, as your awareness of your tinnitus is reduced, you’ll only notice it when you focus on it.

Tinnitus can worsens when you are worried or tired, therefore it can increase your stress and anxiety levels further triggering a cycle of stress and worry. I understand that at the moment it is a lot easier said than done to break this cycle but we would encourage you to continue taking part in any activities which you enjoy and will help to relieve any stress you do feel.

Please feel free to read through our publications on tinnitus, the causes and what is available to help. you can find them via our website here or if you prefer you can contact us directly and we can arrange for them to be sent in the post for you.

We work Monday -Friday 9am-5pm and our tinnitus helpline number is 0808 808 6666 should you want to discuss anything further or you just want to talk. 

Kind regards

Jess

Children
No Data