Grommets, tinnitus and ear infection... Getting depressed now

Hi everyone! Looking for some confort words and maybe some experiences

Las Tuesday I not grommets placed in my left ear because I had liquids in my ears and had less hearing. The operation was with local anesthesia so I was able to hear all. Ik was quiet lot of noise .. Like a drill in my ear and a vacuum cleaner. So quiet horrible.

After the operation was able to go home... I didn't hear at all but the dog said that once the effect of the anesthesia was gone it would be OK and within few days I was going to feel better. 

Of course this didn't happend. Since Tuesday I have a horrible pippppppp in my ear... And im half deaf. The sound in my ear just it is getting me crazy. 

In Friday went back to the ENT as I was getting crazy and he confirmed that I have a horrible ear infection and got some ears drops. 

It is already Monday and no improvement at all. The pieppp is getting me crazy and I have a feeling like my hears are full... Just can't clear them... 

Now after reading all the stories and experiences in internet I'm freaking out that the pieppp is never going to leave and that I will be deaf. Not sure which would be worse.

I had a depression last year and was getting better now... Few months that I was finally sleeping good and feeling more positive about life and now I get this... I'm getting panic attacks again... So so scare... 

Does somebody has any idea if these are normal sympthoms af a grommet placing and if I would get better and pieppp would get less?

I have been crying all night and all morning already... 

Thank you in advance all of you for reading me... 

• Hi Aira019

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forum. My name is Rachel  and I work on the Information Line here at Action on Hearing Loss.

You have come to the right place for support and guidance and hopefully other forum users shall be commenting shortly and sharing their own experiences to help you out.

I’m sorry to read how you are feeling at the moment. As you only had the grommets fitted last week it may take you some time for your ears to adjust, in can vary on the time that it take for people to adjust to them. We would encourage you to wait a few weeks to see if it improves whilst your ears adjust, if after a few weeks it is still the same it would be best to return to your audiology department for further assessment.

Can I ask, have you tried any therapies to help with the tinnitus? Although there is no single cure for tinnitus that suits everybody; there are plenty of therapies to help you manage your tinnitus and reduce its impact on your life. With the right guidance and information, you should be able to find a therapy, or combination of therapies, that can help you manage your tinnitus. Please feel free to read our tinnitus factsheets for further information.

The most important thing to try and remember is to remain positive and continue doing the things that you enjoy in life.

We really hope you start to feel better soon, hopefully once the ear infection has cleared up the tinnitus too will settle down- please keep us posted.

Our Helpline is open Monday – Friday from 9am – 5pm so please do not hesitate to contact us if you would like to talk or have any questions.

All the best

Rachel on behalf of the Information Line