Cholesteatoma Advice please?

Hi all, I've just joined this site today as I'm searching around trying to find some information on Cholesteatoma surgery. Following some tests (hearing, CT Scan) I have been diagnosed with a Cholesteatoma. My surgery is booked in for January. Is there anyone here that has had a similar surgery? I'm not usually a panicker, but having read the 'possible side effects' I've got myself in a state over it. I am a working Mum and I'm dreading the thought of being laid up for weeks battling dizziness etc.

If anyone has had the surgery and can offer some information I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance.

• Hi Myfairlady

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forum. My name is Rachel  and I work on the Information Line here at Action on Hearing Loss.

Please don't panic, you have come to the right place for support and guidance and hopefully other forum users shall be commenting shortly and sharing their own experiences to help you out who may also had the same surgery as you.

In the meantime, please find attached our factsheet on Middle Ear Conditions which does have some information on cholesteatomas , Dizziness and Balance and Ear Problems and treatment  leaflet which I hope you find useful.

In regards to ENT protocol for cholesteotoma removal, the best people to ask would be ENT UK - their contact details are as follows

Call: 0207 404 8373 Email: entuk@entuk.org

We really hope you start to feel better soon.

Our Helpline is open Monday – Friday from 9am – 5pm so please do not hesitate to contact us if you would like to talk or have any questions.

All the best

Rachel on behalf of the Information Line