Tinnitus is too much

I cant manage it anymore.  Does anyone else feel like this.  It's affecting my life, my family relationships and my marriage.  I'm not the person I used to be and I just want to go and live in the middle of nowhere alone.  If I then feel like throwing the towel in I can do it alone.  Have tried everything from maskers to mindfulness. Nothing works. Also have hearing loss which annoys others when they have to keep repeating themselves.  I have a normal hearing aid and a bone anchored.  Hate the bone anchored as the site has never healed and is permenantly sore.  As a result I rarely wear it which increases the tinnitus.  I've had tinnitus 24/7 since 1999 it's 4 constant noises, pulsating and in addition it sounds like there's a phone ringing in the background. The tinnitus is louder than the television or radio and I hate noisy crowded places so dislike going out anywhere.  So with tinnitus, hearing loss, hyperacausis, depression, social withdrawal, anxiety and a general hatred of everyday life it's hardly suprising that I've had enough.  What is there to keep going for.  There's nothing that can help and nothing that will make it go away.

Parents
No Data
  • Hi KieranPiggott11

We are really sorry to read how you are feeling at the moment. Please remember you are not alone and there are professionals that can help you.

Firstly, we would encourage you to contact your GP as soon as possible to discuss your thoughts further. You may also like to contact the Samaritans who are available 24 hours a day to provide confidential emotional support for people who are experiencing feelings of distress, despair or suicidal thoughts.

It sounds like you could really use some emotional support, you are very welcome to contact our Tinnitus Helpline. We are here to listen anytime from 9am-5pm Monday to Friday if you want to talk about your tinnitus or the way you are feeling. We can also be contacted via email tinnitushelpline@hearingloss.org.uk ,Telephone: 0808 808 6666 or Text phone: 0808 808 9000.

Although there is currently no single treatment for tinnitus that works in the same way for everyone, and research to find a cure is on-going, there are many different therapies and self-help techniques that may help you to manage the tinnitus and reduce its impact on your life . Please feel free to read our tinnitus factsheets  for further information.

Please note, Tinnitus can worsen when you are worried or tired, which can increase your stress and anxiety levels and trigger a cycle of stress and worry. It usually settle down with time- I do however understand it’s a lot easier said than done.

You mention you have tried sound therapy and mindfulness training in the past and they haven’t worked- was this provided by a Hearing Therapist at the local hospital?  Can I also ask, what has helped you in the past when it’s been more manageable?

Please keep in contact with us and we hope you start to feel better soon. We hope other forum users shall be commenting shortly and sharing their own experiences with you too

All the best

Rachel

Children
No Data