Not sure if I have tinnitus

Good morning.  I'm new to the forum and wondered if anyone could advise.  

I have substantial heating loss in one ear and have successfully used a private heating aid in that ear for around 2 years.  Yesterday I noticed that when I listen to radio or TV the sound (specifically speech) is vibrating.  It's less noticeable when I have the heating aid in.  I wondered if this might be a type of tinnitus or something else.  For a very long time I have experienced hearing what sounds like a motor running in the distance when I'm in bed trying to sleep.  I also thought this might be tinnitus.  

Thanks in advance for any advice.  

Parents
No Data
  • Hi Izzyd 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forum. My name is Jess and I work on the Information Line for Action on Hearing Loss. 

Unfortunately, we are not medically trained so we couldn’t offer a diagnosis but what you are describing could point towards tinnitus. Tinnitus can be caused by many different things such as noise exposure, stress, medication, trauma, infection etc and can appear in many different ways also. Some people will experience the typical ringing in the ears but also can be humming, whoosing, buzzing etc. Tinnitus is the name for sounds that some people hear in their ear(s) or head that have no outside source.

We would encourage you to make an appointment with your GP for them to do some examinations and check for any build up of wax or infection that could be the cause. If they are unable to determine this they should then be referring you to Ear, Nose and Throat for them to continue these examinations and maybe put you forward for an MRI scan to check further into the ear and skull.

Unfortunately, there is no single cure for tinnitus that suits everybody. Nevertheless, there are plenty of therapies to help you manage your tinnitus and reduce its impact on your life. With the right guidance and information, you should be able to find a therapy, or combination of therapies, that can help you manage your tinnitus. Please feel free to read our tinnitus publications to find information about therapies and treatments that may help.

I hope this helps. If you require further information please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best wishes, 

Jess

Children
No Data