Tinnitus for 2.5 months, still no change..

Hi all T sufferers out there. I just got riddled with this condition 2.5 months ago after a night out in a very loud club, biggest regret of my life now. I have since seen 3 ENTs and did 3 audiometry tests that showed that my hearing is very good (within normal limits) and I just had an acoustic trauma, yet still I got this relentless hissing/cricket and tv-static noise (mostly in my left ear) that wont let me lead a normal life anymore... I dont know what to do? I am so helpless/desperate and I know many are/have been in my situation so I have a few questions:

I heard for some it can go away in less than 3 months (or is it 6 ?), after which its mostly regarded as permanent (?). My question is, for those whose T did go away did it gradually reduce in volume till it was completely gone or did it just happen over one night? Cuz if its a gradual thing it doesnt look good in my case, the intensity has remained the same since onset, very depressing..

Since I have T without hearing loss does this make me have a greater chance of recovery or it makes no difference?

I have been to a psychiatrist as well and told him how I feel as I also had and still sometimes do have suicidal thoughts. He gave me Remeron for sleep, which might have helped with sleep a bit I guess but not for T. I stopped taking it however bcuz I was having extreme side effects which were more unbearable than tinnitus alone.. not for me.

I heard of CBD oil helping some people, not sure if anyone has tried it, I guess anything is worth a shot.

The biggest problems I have with this wicked thing is that 90% chance it will never go away so its a big burden, also for nearly 3 months it hasnt improved the slightest, so I dont know how to look at this anymore? I cant imagine this new and awful life I have to lead, I wish I just heard about it before and known the risks before going to such a loud place.. but too late for that.

I guess I'll end it here. Thank you and I appreciate any feedback!

PS. A small list I gathered of things I still want to try, any input is helpful:
- CBD oil
- NAC Supplements
- Lipo-Flavonoid
- BetaSerc
- Gabapentin
- Acupuncture for ears
- Craniosacral therapy
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy

Parents
No Data
  • Hi JohnM_86

Thank you for your post.

We are sorry to read about how you are feeling at the moment. With tinnitus, it is very difficult to put a time frame on it as everyone tends to experience it in different ways. For some people they find that over time it does go away or become more manageable and this may be as a result of different therapies that are available to help. 

You may wish to read our factsheet Tinnitus – Causes and Therapies for more information on what is available to help you. Some of these therapies are done on the NHS with a hearing therapist. The service isn’t always available in all hospitals but your GP can refer you to one that does offer this. You may have to press your GP for this referral but please do as you are entitled to receive support. As mentioned that people experience Tinnitus differently a therapy that works for one may not necessarily for another so it is important to persevere until you find a therapy that works for you.

Some people find that listening to the radio or a sound generator etc when they are trying to get to sleep helps as it is a different noise for your brain to focus on. If you do decide to try this, it is important to play the sound at a level that is lower than the tinnitus and not to try and drown it out. This then, for some, acts as a distraction from listening to their tinnitus.

If you are feeling particularly low, then please do not feel like you are alone. We can be contacted Monday-Frday 9am-5pm for support. The Samaritans are also available 24/7. 

116 123 (UK) - jo@samaritans.org (UK)

116 123 (ROI) - jo@samaritans.ie (ROI)

Please feel free to keep us updated with how you are getting on.

Kind regards

Vicky on behalf of the Information Line

Telephone: 0808 808 0123  Textphone: 0808 808 9000 SMS: 0780 000 0360 Email: information@hearingloss.org.uk

Children
No Data