Ringing after cold

Hi, 

In mid January I had a terrible cold, phlegm and green nasty mucus coming out for a week. As the symptoms subsided I noticed my left ear began to ring. As I've had something like that in the past I let it go away but it didn't go away this time. The ringing became more intense and sometimes affects even my right ear. Sometimes it goes up in pitch for a few seconds and calms down again.

At first it didn't bother me as I couldn't hear it unless the room was quiet. Now I cant stop thinking about it and can hear it at all times. In addition, my ears felt a great amount of pressure and I tried vasalva and It didn't help. I can hear well from what I can observe there hasn't been a noticable change. I still on occasion have mucus from my nose but its clear. At night its the worst. My ears make a loud crack noise when I swallow. My doc gave me a decongestant  today, and I have scheduled an appointment with an ENT next week. I work from home as an online tutor so I barely get exposed to loud noises. An experience like this? I hope it resolves itself. It has been three weeks. Thank  you for reading.

• Hi vesper123

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your post. I'm sure some of our other members will post shortly to explain their experiences and share some advice but I hope the information below is helpful. 

We speak with people a lot of the time that have a similar experience that if they are thinking or talking about their tinnitus it would appear to be more intense and there is a big link between stress and tinnitus. Understandable, getting tinnitus is stressful but this stress could also be meaning that your tinnitus will appear more intense or that it will last longer. It sounds impossible to do but if there are any activities/hobbies you enjoy that are a natural de-stresser we would encourage you to continue doing these. 

Some people will look towards trying new ways to help such as, meditation, mindfulness techniques, Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (which is a type of sound therapy) and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. You can read more about these options via our tinnitus publications here to see if they are something you would like to explore further.

It can be a bit trial and error as what works for one person wont necessarily work for you, or you may find a better result if you use a combination of a few things. Try and not to focus too much on time frame and although you've had your tinnitus for longer than you would like so far each persons journey is different and given yourself time you will hopefully reach a place where your tinnitus is much more manageable and not impacting on your day to day. 

I hope this helps. IF you would like to speak with us further you can contact us directly on

tinnitus.helpline@hearingloss.org.uk or 0808 808 6666

Best wishes,

Jess