Ear has been ringing since flu/ear infection

Hi,

Around 2 weeks ago I had tonsillitis which then developed into a pretty bad cough, about a week ago I had pain in my ear for a few hours and my ear felt plugged up - the pain stopped and was replaced by a ringing in my left ear which has been constant since then and seems to be getting louder as the days go on.

I've seen my GP and they have put me on a course of antibiotics as they think I may have a middle ear infection as my eardrum looks "retracted" ? 

Is it normal for the ringing to last this long? Should I get a second opinion from another GP? Any help/advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Parents
No Data
  • Hi Chris28,

Thank you for your post.

An ear infection or excess wax can cause temporary tinnitus and it is not uncommon for people to experience it for a short while, especially if the infection is yet to be treated fully.

You may find that once the infection is clear then the tinnitus will go. However if this is not the case then you can ask your GP to refer you to an Ear, Nose and Throat department for further checks to see if there is an underlying reason that may have caused the tinnitus. 

In the mean time you may wish to read our tinnitus publications for some tips on what you can to do to help you manage the tinnitus at the moment.

Kind regards

Vicky on behalf of the Information Line

Children
No Data