New here...did anyone else experience this re. pulsatile tinnitus? A bit scared?

Hi all,

Thank you for taking the time to read this and add your comments.

Around 5 months ago my left ear started ringing and I had pulsatile tinnitus in my right ear but only when do I need to certain movements, bending over, straining etc.

I had an MRI/MRA and US of my carotic arteries and everything was OK. It's been a week now, that my pulsatile tinnitus switched sides and it's continuous now! I am a bit scared to be honest. Should I check anything else? Did this happen to anyone else?

Thanks

• Hi User2604 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forum. My name is Jess and I work on the Information Line for Action on Hearing Loss. I'm sure some of our forum members will post shortly to offer you their first hand experiences and advice but I hope our information below will also help. 

Tinnitus can worsens when you are worried or tired, therefore it can increase your stress and anxiety levels further triggering a cycle of stress and worry. I understand that at the moment it is a lot easier said than done to break this cycle. 

Tinnitus can be so different for each individual and in turn this means the treatments and therapies that work for that individual will be different to what may work for you. It is important to give the treatments enough patience and time to see if it does have a positive effect on the levels on your tinnitus but also to be confident that you can explore other techniques that will hopefully mean you see an improvement. There is no right or wrong way, providing you are being safe, and people find all different ways to help their tinnitus reduce so you may come across something that isn’t necessarily proven to help tinnitus but helps yours.

Some people find that listening to the radio or a sound generator etc when they are trying to get to sleep or concentrate etc helps as it is a different noise for your brain to focus on. If you do decide to try this, it is important to play the sound at a level that is lower than the tinnitus and not to try and drown it out. This then, for some, acts as a distraction from listening to their tinnitus and becomes part of their daily routine. Some people are able to apply this technique all the time so they reach a point of habituation and their tinnitus no longer affects them. Some even suggesting they think it has gone because they no longer hear it.

Please feel free to read our tinnitus publications to find information about therapies and treatments that may help in case there is some extra information in there that you have not come across. 

I hope this helps but if you require further information please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best wishes,

Jess