Lip Reading

Deaf in one ear from the age of 8 following a mastoid operation - I struggled on throughout my teens and most of my adult life with one ear. No problem - until I was sat on the "wrong side" of someone.... anyway my hearing suddenly started to diminish in my one "good ear" Then it slowly got worse enough for a hearing aid - "great" I thought. To be on the safe side I decided to try a lip reading class and soon discovered that without realizing it I had been reading lips for years !!!!
The classes were fun. Teacher would sometimes bring a cloth bag into class with a mystery object inside and using "silent speak" describe what the object was !!! I was often the first to get it right.
The point of this posting is to say this: I treated the classes as fun - light hearted - and not too serious. How wrong could I get?
Just a few months later my hearing loss was joined by our unwelcome friend - Mr Tinnitus - which made the hearing aid almost useless. I was in trouble.
It was at this point that I realized just how important these lip reading classes were. I was relying on lip reading - combined with a bit of guesswork - to get on with everyday life !!
Sign language is fine. The only drawback for me was that I had no one to practice it with !!!!
Thank goodness I did the three terms of lip reading - they were worth their weight in Gold !!
I'm doing OK - I can hold a conversation with the 20% hearing I got left - combined with some finger spelling and a lot of lip reading.... each day is a new challenge !!!!
Where do you learn to read lips ?
A good place to start is by contacting the WEA ( Workers Educational Association ) You can look them up on Google !!
Good luck

John in Cornwall
  • Hi MM

I’m sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I have been in contact with our Communication Services team in Neath and there are only 2 speech to text reporters in South Wales and the team in Neath are able to book these. To enquire or book communication support in South Wales please feel free to contact them on telephone: 01792 324 477, Textphone: 01792 324455 or email csuneath@hearingloss.org.uk

Kind regards
    Emma
  • LesleyMazey1 said:

Like many people I think I have been subconsciously lipreading for years. If I watch someone's face when they talk to me I can get most of what they say. If i can't then this drops to maybe 50% at best.

I became aware of lipreading when i used to attend meetings in France. My work colleagues all spoke French (well, being French they would!) and although I spoke french also I found it difficult to keep up with conversations unless I watched their lips.

Lx

I don't know under what circumstances or condition you utilise lip-reading. For most unless it is controlled and ideal it just is hit, miss and inspired guesswork mostly. I attend (too many really !), meetings about various access meetings, and usually it is NO lip-speaker, a bit of sign and whatever I can pick up via lip-reading (Like you say unless SELF-taught, classes are wasted time), and it just is not anywhere near enough to follow properly. This week I attended an 'professionals' meeting and looked pretty silly really. Usually I use lip-reading with some sign and my partner who is a better signer fills in gaps.

This time I was on me tod, no-one to take the signing flak for me but no-one to provide text access for me either so ALL reliance on lip reading with EIGHT people talking away. I was caught out as I failed to understand some sign used which was "The weight, of overall responsibility." I completely lost track as the sign was incomprehensible to me and I assumed they were talking about 'coats' (there was a school thing where my lad had come home with 3 coats, none of them his !), so I rambled on in reply about that ! DOH !

It cured me of using sign again for myself ! and, it became clear my lip-reading has deteriorated. Not that 8 people are easy to follow anyway but.... I'm still waiting for AOHL to inform me WHERE I can obtain speech to text access in South Wales, without which I may have to withdraw from all the local campaigns I am fighting. I just will not be able to rely on DIY lip-reading, 'modern BSL' which no-one over 30 understands anyway, and untrained hearing people at meetings who have yet to be aware there is a deaf person in attendance! I'm convinced anyone who relies solely on lip-reading is wasting their time except within highly controlled areas. Hearing have NO IDEA how to run a meeting, over the years I am surprised any of them work really, they all fail if a deaf person turns up. Since they have to LISTEN to what we say first, don't ! then assume you support does it anyway. (Some don't actually !). All these problems and that is BEFORE you can put your point or follow.

Maybe I'll send in a sub.....
  • Like many people I think I have been subconsciously lipreading for years. If I watch someone's face when they talk to me I can get most of what they say. If i can't then this drops to maybe 50% at best.

I became aware of lipreading when i used to attend meetings in France. My work colleagues all spoke French (well, being French they would!) and although I spoke french also I found it difficult to keep up with conversations unless I watched their lips.

Lx
  • karencollins1 said:

Hi John

It was only when I went for a speech recognition test found out just how much I lipread without even being aware of it I lost most of my hearing three years ago the nerve does nt send signals right and gets them scrambled! I had a whole day of tests that was fun and during this the lady faced me and said some sentences looking at her I could " hear" what she was saying the instant I closed my eyes trouble could nt hear a thing! She played some on a recording same problem if I'm am not looking at someone no hope.i would love to take lipread ing classes but none in my area nearest one 10 miles away in the evening with two kids and no car that's not happening.

Personally I reject the UK approach to lip-reading as of little use. I find the whole thing a bit twee and pointless as well as an unproven or effective mode by and large. people with hearing loss chasing the hearing dream.....Put it this way if you wanted to learn e.g. French, attended an course where the teacher said "I can make you perhaps 30% fluent, maybe 15% at most, will that be ok ?" I wonder how many would continue... far too may blame our db loss and NOT the way the whole thing is 'taught'. There is no realism about these classes.
  • Hi John

It was only when I went for a speech recognition test found out just how much I lipread without even being aware of it I lost most of my hearing three years ago the nerve does nt send signals right and gets them scrambled! I had a whole day of tests that was fun and during this the lady faced me and said some sentences looking at her I could " hear" what she was saying the instant I closed my eyes trouble could nt hear a thing! She played some on a recording same problem if I'm am not looking at someone no hope.i would love to take lipread ing classes but none in my area nearest one 10 miles away in the evening with two kids and no car that's not happening.