Hearing Loss and Tinnitus Mystery

Just over 2 weeks ago, I suddenly had an ear problem.  I've never had a problem with wax build up, but thought this was the cause.  After 5 days of the problem and using olive oil drops a couple of times, I rang for an appointment at the doctors, only to be advised by the call centre's pharmacist, "Use Otex for a few days".  I did so and nothing was happening.  My symptoms were literally slight hearing loss in my left ear (hence the reason I thought it was wax build up).  I was so fed up with not being able to hear properly, that after a 'few' days of using Otex, I tried to flush out my ear with a syringe and warm water.  I wasn't forceful in the process though.  Nothing was coming out.  At this point, I don't remember if I had tinnitus before flushing....I think I did, but I can't be certain, I was more concerned with the hearing loss side of things.  After 6 days of my problem I phoned the doctor call centre again to ask what to do next.  I told them by the way on both occasions that "I'm not a doctor or a nurse, but I can't hear properly and presume my ear is blocked".  I was given an appointment 5 days later for an ear syringe with the nurse.  It seemed to take forever for those 5 days to arrive!  Finally I went to my appointment in really good spirits thinking I would finally be able to hear again once my ear was unblocked.  It turns out that there was no wax present and both ears were really clean.  There was no redness or swelling or anything either to indicate infection.  I was advised to use a nasal decongestant in case it was a blocked Eustachian tube.  I did so for 3 days, to no avail.  In the meantime there were still no other symptoms.  I have no pain, no dizziness or vertigo, no feeling of fullness anywhere in my ear and when I swallow or yawn I can hear my Eustachian tube clicking (so presumably it's working).  I got another appointment (an on the day urgent one this time) to see the doctor who used an Otososcope and everything looked normal.  He asked a few questions and then told me he is referring me for a hearing test.  I tried to ask what could be causing it etc. and he just told me, "Lets get the hearing test done first and we'll go from there".  I felt at a loss!  I KNOW I have hearing loss, but I went there to find out why!  I now have to wait who knows how long for a referral letter to arrive and then who knows how long for an actual appointment.  In the meantime, the whole situation is driving me crazy!  I can hear myself talk and breath sometimes, but the worst is when I eat, having to listen intensely to every chew.  I've given up eating things too crunchy, even raw veg.   Everywhere I look, all I can find is that slight hearing loss with tinnitus is caused by only a certain few things, but, none of those things seem to match up with what I'm experiencing!  

If someone has been through a similar thing or knows what the problem might be, please help!  Have I just suddenly over night experienced hearing loss for no apparent reason?  Is that even possible?